DON'T LET YOUR DOG EAT EASTER EGGS!
- LABRADOR RESCUE KENT AND BORDERS WARNS OWNERS THAT CHOCOLATE CAN KILL -
Labrador Rescue Kent and Borders (LRK) is urging dog owners to be extra vigilant over the Easter period and to ensure that their pets do not get a chance to gobble up any Easter eggs, as chocolate can be fatal if eaten by a dog.
Chocolate contains a toxic element called theobromine which dogs are particularly sensitive to. Humans can process this toxin, but dogs are unable to. Even the smallest amount can kill.
It is better to be safe than sorry, says LRK trustee Maggie Hinks, and to make sure that all Easter eggs are out of reach and kept in a closed cupboard.
If a dog has eaten some chocolate it may suffer from vomiting and diarrhoea, and muscle spasm. It will then have convulsions and could even die.
If in doubt contact your vet as soon as you notice something wrong, but try to make sure that temptation is not there in the first place. You would not want to see your dog in such pain, warns Maggie.